Mroczek Sod Farm has been selling Big Roll sod since the year 2000. Our Big Rolls are approximately 216 sq.ft per roll in size. One roll will weigh about 500 to 600 lbs. Depending on the lift capacity of your tractor or Bobcat, you can lay 2 big rolls or 1 big roll at a time. For 1 big roll your equipment should be able to lift 600 lbs. for 2 big rolls 1500 lb. lift capacity is required. It takes about 2-3 minutes to unroll 432 sq. ft or about 50 sq. yds. (2 rolls at a time).
Getting started with Big Rolls
You will need
1. 30 hp. Tractor w/turf tires or a 743 Bobcat or larger w/quick attach (turf tires not needed if ground is firm)
2. 2 small garden rakes
3. 3-4 razor blade knifes
4. 3-4 workers
5. Sod installer (supplied by MSF)
Things you need to know
1. Big roll sod must be unrolled within 24 hrs.of delivery. Big rolls pick up heat faster than little rolls. So have your site prepared and ready to lay sod before delivery of the sod. Use a starter fertilizer and thoroughly water the newly laid sod. (see MSFs’ Sod care Manual) Important !
2. Do not over till the site. A Harley rake or box/ landscape rake works best. You don’t want to leave deep tire tracks.
3. Do not try to use big rolls if the site is to muddy or to wet.
4. When ordering sod, let MSF know what type of installer you will be needing to borrow.
5.Types of Installers: Tractor 2 roll
Bobcat 2 roll
Tractor 1 roll (manual)
Tractor 1 roll (hydraulic clam)
How to lay Big Rolls
1.Back up to the rolls so that when going forward the rolls , will unroll.
2. Use the 3rd member on the installer as a sight guide when backing up to the rolls, aim for the split in the rolls.
3. Start where your site has a long straight line first.
4. Set rolls down, drive tractor forward or backwards to find the end flaps of the rolls.
5. Cut the plastic netting that holds the flaps ...if ends are not even with each other, do not worry, cut square and use the smaller pieces around another area at a later time.
6. Cut off any exposed netting. Let the netting in the sod stay.
7.Start driving forward ,slowly. As the roll gets smaller you must lower the roll, so the roll does not stretch and tear.
8. If an excess flap of sod develops, lift sod while going forward to tighten. Be careful , not to tear sod. Set sod back down and continue going forward.
9. When coming to the endand you need to cut sod. Unroll sod 6-8 feet beyond the cut off point . Cut sod at cut point and then throw the excess 6-8 feet on top of the roll of sod. This will keep the roll of sod from unrolling while in transport to the next run.
10. When unrolling sodstay as close as possible to the last unrolled sod. This will aid in keeping your workers from tiring out to quickly. Use the rakes to pull the sod tight to the previously laid sod.
12. When laying 2 rolls at a time, do not try to get the ends to meet exactly. Cut the ends square . Use the smaller pieces around the house or other smaller areas.
13. To finalize your ending areas, it is easier to do this with 1 roll on the installer.
14. When going around obstacles, just drive on the laid sod while unrolling. Then slide the sod over . Do not be afraid to drive on the sod, but try not to if it can be helped.
15. After the sod is laid. Put the empty sod tubes in the bag supplied by MSF, tie up the bag and return along with the installer to Mroczek Sod Farm.
Policy on Big Roll Installer and Tubes
Mroczek Sod Farm lends the customer the equipment for no charge as long as the customer is buying our sod. There is a $100 deposit required. When the customer returns the tubes, bag and the installer he/she receives their $100 deposit back. If MSF has to retrieve the equipment, the customer does not receive their deposit back.
With a little patience and a little sweat you’ll be laying big rolls like a pro. They are a lot less physically demanding and require less workers and they initially look better then little rolls. Remember...the key to enjoying laying Big Rolls is….”Let the tractor do the work !
1 roll installer
2 roll installer
let the tractor do the work
cut at the flaps, lower and unroll
donkey unloading big rolls
donkey w/big rolls
staged big rolls
instant lawn, on it's way!
Remember to wear your work clothes ! The Mroczek brothers.